Tuesday, September 11, 2007

~ Sept. 11th, 2001 ~



I will never forget that day. I will never forget all the people who died that day. They will forever be in my thoughts.

What were you doing on 9/11?

I was getting ready to go to school (I was going to college). I was on my computer talking to my GF in Israel. She was from NY. When I told her about the first plane, we thought it was a fluke. When I told her about the second plane, she was quickly on the phone trying to reach her parents in NY.

On my way to school, the news announced the plane that crashed at the Pentagon. Steve (who was my live in boyfriend at the time) was on a plane at that exact moment. He traveled a lot. By now I was at school and I knew when he was suppose to have land, so I called his cell. No answer. I left a crying message about planes crashing. My teachers knew he was on a plane and said I could leave my cell phone on. 2 hours later he called me asking me what the heck was going on. I was crying so hard because I was so happy to hear his voice, he couldn't understand a word I was saying. I then heard over his cell phone, the pilot coming on and explaining what happened. Apparently he was in the air when everything happened. The pilots came on the intercom and said due to a National Crisis, they were instructed to turn around and head back to DFW Airport. Once they landed, they were allowed to use their phones, but the passengers still did not know what was going on. That is when he called me and I heard the pilot start to explain. They made them sit for 2 hours out on the tarmac while they searched the plane and checked all the passengers to make sure there were no terrorists aboard. DFW is one of the largest airports in the US, so it was thought that it might be a target.

I was never so happier to see him when we both finally made it home. He proposed two months later. LOL He swears it had nothing to do with 9/11, but I do know it made his decision easier.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

How scary, Jamie. I will never forget this day. I originally thought it must be a fluke as well(maybe a Cessna or something). Never in my wildest dreams.

kaysdee said...

It was around lunchtime in the UK when it happened and I remember getting an email at work saying there had been an incident with a plane and the tower and there were around 10 casualties. I immediately thought "no way, 10?" and then it all very quickly turned into a nightmare. I've visited Ground Zero and it is just haunting :(